The selected word "had" appears 31 times in the following 15 texts (sorted by results):
- A Long Story (8 results)
10 When he had fifty winters o'er him,
30 Had armed with spirit, wit, and satire:
31 But Cobham had the polish given,
43 Had told that thereabouts there lurked
114 Had in imagination fenced him,
118 When he the solemn hall had seen;
125 'He once or twice had penned a sonnet;
130 Already had condemned the sinner.
- [Translation from Dante, Inferno Canto xxxiii 1-78] (4 results)
41 'The morn had scarce commenced when I awoke:
48 Where are thy tears? Too soon they had aroused them,
75 Had dawned, my other three before my eyes
79 Hunger had reft my eyesight), often calling
- On L[or]d H[olland']s Seat near M[argat]e, K[en]t (3 results)
17 'Ah', said the sighing peer, 'had Bute been true,
19 Far other scenes than these had blessed our view
22 Then had we seen proud London's hated walls:
- Agrippina, a Tragedy (2 results)
89 Who had such liberal power to give, may still
184 Of amorous thefts: and had her wanton son
- The Candidate (2 results)
1 When sly Jemmy Twitcher had smugged up his face
14 When she died, I can't tell, but he once had a wife.
- [The Death of Hoel] (2 results)
1 Had I but the torrent's might,
10 He asked and had the lovely maid.
- Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat, Drowned in a Tub of Gold Fishes (2 results)
2 Where China's gayest art had dyed
13 Still had she gazed; but 'midst the tide
- Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard (1 result)
123 He gave to Misery all he had, a tear,
- [Impromptus] (1 result)
8 She had a bad face which did sadly molest her.
- [Lines Spoken by the Ghost of John Dennis at the Devil Tavern] (1 result)
22 After so many chances had befell,
- The Progress of Poesy. A Pindaric Ode (1 result)
81 When Latium had her lofty spirit lost,
- [Sketch of his Own Character] (1 result)
2 He had not the method of making a fortune:
- [Tophet] (1 result)
8 And Satan's self had thoughts of taking orders.
- [Translation from Statius, Thebaid VI 646-88, 704-24] (1 result)
40 Nor stopped till it had cut the further strand.
- [Translation] From Tasso [Gerusalemme Liberata] Canto 14, Stanza 32-9. (1 result)
39 Scarce had he said, before the warriors' eyes