- Archive Work ID: poems.lt04
- Uniform Title: "[Alcaic Ode]" [e-text]
- First Line: O Tu, severi relligio loci,
- Language: Latin
- First Published: 1775
- References: Starr/Hendrickson (eds.), Complete Poems (1966), 151-152 (with English prose translation); Lonsdale (ed.), Poems (1969), 317-318 (with English prose translation)
- Summary: Gray wrote this poem in the album of the monastery of the Grande Chartreuse on this second visit on 21 August 1741, during his journey from Turin to Lyon, when he was returning alone from the Grand Tour. First published, as "Ode", in Mason's Memoirs (1775), 117-118. MS translation into English by Thomas Wharton.
- Archive MS ID: mss.0006 (Source: EAD/XML)
- Title: "Ode to the Deity of the Grand Chartreuse"
- Date: [between 1776 and 1804]
- Physical Description: 3 pages, 193 mm x 160 mm; transcript and English translation in the hand of John Phillipps
- Language: Latin, English
- Location: BOD MS Eng.misc.e.241, ff. 42-43r, Special Collections, Bodleian Library, Oxford University, Oxford, UK <http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/weston/finding-resources/locations>
- References: Smith (ed.), Index (1989), 79; Sutton (ed.), Location Register (1995), 414; Crum (ed.), First-Line Index (1969), vol. II, 674, item O877; Nelson (ed.), Union First Line Index. Mar. 2010. Folger Shakespeare Library. 19 March 2010. <http://firstlines.folger.edu/detail.php?id=77055>
- Contents: Transcript in the hand of John Phillipps (f. 42), followed by an English translation headed "Translation" (ff. 42v-43r), in a volume of collected verse, copied from manuscripts, printed editions and newspapers, by John Phillipps of the Middle Temple and Exeter College, Oxford, 1776-1804 (Summary Catalogue, 45759).
- Surrogates: Digital facsimile [JPEG] from original MS available online.