"Ad C: Favonium Zephyrinum"
- Archive Work ID: poems.lt02
- Uniform Title: "Ad C: Favonium Zephyrinum" [e-text]
- First Line: Mater rosarum, cui tenerae vigent
- Language: Latin
- First Published: 1775
- References: Starr/Hendrickson (eds.), Complete Poems (1966), 144-145 (with English prose translation); Lonsdale (ed.), Poems (1969), 310-312 (with English prose translation)
- Summary: Written at Rome in the Spring of 1740 while on the Grand Tour with Horace Walpole. First published, untitled but referred to in a footnote as "Ad C. Favonium Zephyrinum", in Mason's Memoirs (1775), section II, letter no. XXI. Mason is the only source for this letter, dated May 1740, in which Gray originally sent the poem to West (Favonius). MS translation into English by Thomas Wharton.
- Archive MS ID: mss.0002 (Source: EAD/XML)
- Title: "Ode to Mr. West"
- Date: [between 1776 and 1804]
- Physical Description: 3 pages, 193 mm x 160 mm; transcript and English translation in the hand of John Phillipps
- Language: Latin, English
- Location: BOD MS Eng.misc.e.241, ff. 43-44r, Special Collections, Bodleian Library, Oxford University, Oxford, UK <http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/weston/finding-resources/locations>
- References: Smith (ed.), Index (1989), 79; Crum (ed.), First-Line Index (1969), vol. II, 668, item O754; Nelson (ed.), Union First Line Index. Mar. 2010. Folger Shakespeare Library. 19 March 2010. <http://firstlines.folger.edu/detail.php?id=76914>
- Contents: Transcript in the hand of John Phillipps (f. 43), followed by an English translation headed "Translation" (ff. 43v-44r), in a volume of collected verse, copied from manuscripts, printed editions and newspapers, by John Phillipps of the Middle Temple and Exeter College, Oxford, 1776-1804 (Summary Catalogue, 45759).
- Surrogates: Digital facsimile [JPEG] from original MS available online.