The selected word "it" appears 39 times in the following 16 texts (sorted by results):
- Agrippina, a Tragedy (10 results)
11 And would have dropped, but that her pride restrained it?
12 (Go! you can paint it well) 'twill profit you,
16 Without a spell to raise, and bid it fire
29 To her that gave it being, her that armed
84 Of rage, and thinks to quench the fire it feels not.
118 It bears a noble semblance. On this base
132 As there were magic in it? Wrinkled beldams
133 Teach it their grandchildren, as somewhat rare
148 To dress thy plea, and Burrhus strengthen it
166 What, so it be strange, and dreadful.— Sorceries,
- [Translation from Statius, Thebaid VI 646-88, 704-24] (7 results)
27 With doubled light it beamed against the day:
30 When blazing 'gainst the sun it shines from far,
40 Nor stopped till it had cut the further strand.
49 It towers to cut the clouds; now through the skies
50 Sings in its rapid way and strengthens as it flies;
70 True to the mighty arm that gave it force,
74 Tremble ere it precipitates its fall;
- A Long Story (4 results)
16 Though Pope and Spaniard could not trouble it.
42 (By this time all the parish know it)
127 'Numbers would give their oaths upon it,
138 'Her air and all her manners show it.
- [Lines Spoken by the Ghost of John Dennis at the Devil Tavern] (3 results)
18 It tumbled down a thousand pair of stairs,
23 It came into a mead of asphodel:
25 It lies, of 'Lysium the St. James's Park.
- [Ode on the Pleasure Arising from Vicissitude] (3 results)
52 And tastes it as it goes.
54 Broad and turbulent it grows
- [Imitated] From Propertius. Lib: 2: Eleg: 1. (2 results)
10 And half disclose those limbs it should conceal;
69 Or if, alas! it be my fate to try
- [The Alliance of Education and Government. A Fragment] (1 result)
57 And quaff the pendent vintage, as it grows.
- The Descent of Odin. An Ode (1 result)
45 O'er it hangs the shield of gold;
- [Hymn to Ignorance. A Fragment] (1 result)
21 With damp, cold touch forbid it to aspire,
- Imitated from Propertius, Lib: 3: Eleg: 5: (1 result)
8 Where Aganippe warbles as it flows;
- Ode for Music (1 result)
73 'And bid it round heaven's altars shed
- Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College (1 result)
77 That mocks the tear it forced to flow;
- The Progress of Poesy. A Pindaric Ode (1 result)
11 Headlong, impetuous, see it pour:
- Song I (1 result)
4 Yet close my dull eyes when I see it returning;
- [Translation from Dante, Inferno Canto xxxiii 1-78] (1 result)
17 By trusting, and by treachery slain, it recks not
- [Translation] From Tasso [Gerusalemme Liberata] Canto 14, Stanza 32-9. (1 result)
30 Art it requires and more than winged speed.