Bibliographies, biographies, and concordance
Bibliographies (sorted alphabetically by author)
- Basden, Eric B.: Thomas Gray in Buckinghamshire: a supplementary bibliography. St Albans: [s.n.], 1962. [Note: "Fifty copies for private circulation"; see also E. B. Basden in Notes and Queries 9(7) (1962), 249-261, Notes and Queries 9(8) (1962), 283-296, Notes and Queries 9(9) (1962), 336-349, and Notes and Queries 13(6) (1966), 226-227.]
- British Library: Thomas Gray. An excerpt from the General Catalogue of Printed Books, revised 1972. British Library Series. London: Published for the British Library Board by British Museum Publications Ltd, 1974.
- Watson, George and I. R. Willison (eds.): The New Cambridge Bibliography of English Literature, 600-1950. Ed. by G. Watson and I. R. Willison, in 5 vols. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1969-77, vol. II, 577-585.
- Jackson, Wallace: "Thomas Gray (26 December 1716 - 30 July 1771)". Eighteenth-century British poets, 2nd series. Dictionary of Literary Biography. Ed. by John Sitter. Detroit and London: Gale Research, 1991, vol. 109, 168-182.
- McKenzie, Alan T.: Thomas Gray: a reference guide. Reference Guide to literature series. Boston: G. K. Hall, 1982. [Includes index]. Review: Roger Lonsdale in Modern Language Review 80(1) (Jan. 1985), 126.
- Mell, jr., Donald C.: "Thomas Gray (1716-71)". Donald C. Mell, jr., English Poetry, 1660-1800: A Guide to Information Sources, American Literature, English Literature, and world literatures in English information guide series, vol. 40. Detroit: Gale Research, 1982, 238-251.
- Munby, A. N. L.: "Thomas Gray". A. N. L. Munby (ed.), Sale Catalogues of Libraries of Eminent Persons, Volume 2: Poets and Men of Letters. London: Mansell; Sotheby Parke-Bernet Publications, 1971, 1-82. [Reprint of the 1845, 1847, 1851, and 1854 sales catalogues; see also C. W[right]. below for a separate issue for the 1851 sale]
- Nicosia, Giovanni: Thomas Gray: A bibliographical essay on research and criticism (1952-1977). The blue guitar. Rivista annuale di letteratura inglese e americana. Fascicolo supplementare, 3/4. Messina: Fac. di magistero, Univ., 1977/1978.
- Northup, Clark Sutherland: A Bibliography of Thomas Gray [-1917]. Cornell studies in English, 1. New Haven and London: Yale UP, Humphrey Milford, 1917 [reissued New York: Russell & Russell, 1970]. [The standard work, listing also all writings about Gray to 1917.] Review: Paget Toynbee in Modern language review 13 (1918), 343.
- Smith, Margaret M.: "Thomas Gray: 1716-1771". Margaret M. Smith (ed.), Index of English Literary Manuscripts, Volume III: 1700-1800, part 2: John Gay - Ambrose Philips. London and New York: Mansell, 1989, 71-116.
- Starr, Herbert W.: A Bibliography of Thomas Gray, 1917-1951. With material supplementary to C. S. Northup's Bibliography of Thomas Gray. Philadelphia: U. of Pennsylvania P. for Temple University Publications, 1953 [reprinted New York: Kraus Repr, 1969, Folcroft: Folcroft Library Editions, 1977 with index].
- Sutton, David C. (ed.): Location Register of English Literary Manuscripts and Letters. Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries. Volume I: A-J. London: The British Library, 1995, 413-415.
- Wright, Charles: A Catalogue, briefly descriptive, of Various Books, and Original Manuscripts, of The Poet Gray. London: W. Nicol, 1851.
Biographies (sorted alphabetically by author)
- Cecil, David: Two Quiet Lives: Dorothy Osborne, Thomas Gray. London: Constable and Company Ltd.; Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill Co., 1948 [reprinted 1965, reprinted London: Readers Union, 1949].
- Gosse, Edmund W.: Gray. London: MacMillan and Co., 1889 [1st ed. 1882].
- Harris, Cyril Evans: Thomas Gray, Poet, 1716-1771: A Guide to His Life and Works. Slough, Bucks.: Maple Press, 1971. [Includes illustrations]
- Hudson, William Henry: Gray & his Poetry. Poetry & Life Series, 3. London: George G. Harrap & Company, 1911.
- Jesse, John Heneage: Memoirs of celebrated Etonians: including Henry Fielding, the Earl of Chatham, Horne Tooke, Horace Walpole, George Grenville, Thomas Gray, George Selwyn, Lord North, Earl of Bute, Earl Temple, etc., 2 vols. London: R. Bentley, 1875, vol. I, 352-377.
- Jones, William Powell: Thomas Gray, scholar. The true tragedy of an eighteenth-century gentleman. With two youthful notebooks now published for the first time from the original manuscripts in the Morgan library, New York City. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard UP, 1937 [reissued edition, New York: Russell & Russell, 1965]. [Includes bibliographical references, illustrations, and "Register of Gray autograph manuscripts" ( -181)]. Reviews: William D. Templeman (of first edition) in Journal of English and Germanic Philology (1940), 295, Roger Martin in Etudes anglaises 2 (1938), 407.
- Ketton-Cremer, R. W.: Thomas Gray. Great Lives[, 54]. London: Duckworth, . [Includes bibliography (135-136)]. Reviews: Ralph Lawrence in English (1954), 229, Frederick T. Wood in Englische Studien 71 (1936), 262.
- Ketton-Cremer, R. W.: Thomas Gray. A Biography. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1955. [Includes bibliography and illustration]. Reviews: William Henry Irving in South Atlantic quarterly (1956), J. Dulck in Etudes anglaises 9 (1956), 166, W. Powell Jones in Modern philology (1955), 284, R. W. Zandvoort in English studies 36(6) (Dec. 1955), 314.
- Ketton-Cremer, R. W.: Thomas Gray. Bibliographical series of supplements to "British Book News" on Writers and their Work, No. 104. Published for the British Council and the National Book League. London/New York: Longmans, Green, 1958 [revised edition with additions to bibliography 1966]. [Contains bibliography (29-31) and illustrations]
- Ketton-Cremer, R. W.: "Thomas Gray (1716-1771)". British Writers. Edited under the auspices of the British Council by Ian Scott-Kilvert. In 8 vols. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1980, vol. III, 136-145.
- Last, Brian William: Thomas Gray: a study of the personality, as revealed in the poetry, correspondence, and other writings. Thesis (M.Phil.) University of Leeds (School of English), Leeds, 1974.
- Lytton-Sells, Arthur L.: Thomas Gray: his life and works. Assisted by Iris Lytton Sells. London and Boston: G. Allen & Unwin, 1980. [Includes illustrations, bibliographical references and index]. Reviews: Review of English studies 34(133) (Feb. 1983), 78, M. Curr in UNISA English Studies: journal of the Department of English, University of South Africa (Pretoria) 21(1) (1983), 29-30, Pat Rogers in the Times Literary Supplement (London) (3 Oct. 1980), 1117.
- MacDonald, Alastair: "Thomas Gray: An Uncommitted Life". The Humanities Association Review La Revue de l'Association des Humanites 13 (1962-63), 13-25.
- Mack, Robert L.: Thomas Gray: a life. New Haven and London: Yale UP, 2000. [Includes illustrations and bibliography.] Reviews: Virginia Quarterly Review: a national journal of literature and discussion (Univ. of Virginia, Charlottesville) 77(3) (Summer 2001), 94, Catherine Kord in Antioch Review (Yellow Springs, OH) 59(3) (Summer 2001), 636, David Womersley in Times Literary Supplement (London) (10 Nov. 2000), 6-7, John Mullan in London Review of Books 23(24) (13 Dec. 2001), B. Eugene McCarthy in Eighteenth-Century Book Reviews Online, Benjamin Griffith in Sewanee Review (Univ. of the South, Sewanee, TN) (Spring 2002), lviii, William Levine in Eighteenth-Century Studies (American Soc. for Eighteenth Century Studies, Wake Forest Univ., Winston-Salem, NC) 36(3) (2003), 429-436, Frank McCormick in H-Albion (October 2002).
- Martin, Roger: Chronologie de la Vie et de l'OEuvre de Thomas Gray. Toulouse: Imprimerie Regionale; London: H. Milford, Oxford UP; Paris: Les Presses Universitaires de France, 1931. [Includes genealogical tables and illustration]. Reviews: Odell Shepard in Modern language notes 54 (1939), 64, Frederick T. Wood in Englische Studien 71 (1936), 262.
- Roberts, W. G.: Thomas Gray: A Life in Letters. Second edition, corrected and illustrated. Kirkoswald: Northern Academic Press, 2016.
- Cook, Albert S. (ed.): A Concordance to the English poems of Thomas Gray. Ed. by Albert S. Cook, president of the Concordance Society. Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1908 [reprinted Gloucester, Mass.: P. Smith, 1967, Folcroft: Folcroft Library Editions, 1974, Norwood: Norwood Editions, 1976, and Philadelphia: R. West, 1977]. Review: C. S. Northup in Modern language notes 24(6) (Jun. 1909), 187.